Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Week 9 Thing 20

Exploring YouTube and other video hosting sites certainly was an eye-opener! There is a lot of stuff that's not worth viewing and then there are lots of things that were funny or educational. I thought it was neat that when you watched one video they would suggest another one that was similar, so it would keep you watching and using the site longer! I watched library dominoes and then they suggested one called domino d-day which was really cool! One of my all-time favorite videos is 'Evolution of Dance'. I chose this video because not only is it hilarious, but the comedian, Judson Laipply quickly adapts to each kind of music with a different dance to represent various generations. I think as librarians we are also asked to adapt quickly--to learn new technology, to switch gears from one question to another at the desk, to go from storyteller to team member, etc. We do all of these things with a smile on our faces, just like this video. He gets lots of applause, but we get the satisfaction of helping people.
I enjoyed exploring the site. The only thing that bothers me about the site is that there is a great deal of mixing what is appropriate with what is not. And of course the impatience of waiting for the download!
This would be helpful in the library world in many ways! Even to add useful bits to our website! I will attempt now to add my YouTube video link!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMH0bHeiRNg

No comments: